Welcome to Gaming On Steroids Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Advanced Ryze Guide

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Deftsu

Deftsu

donthackourgames

• Ex-Core Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,812 posts

QyegvWG.jpg

Welcome to my advanced Ryze guide where I will cover everything you need to know about Ryze in order to dominate! Ryze is a champion who's often misused on terms of Runes, Masteries, Items and Spell Casting Combinations thus there aren't many good players out there. I thought to myself and decided that it would be the right thing to come out here and create a HUGE guide containing as much information as I can possibly share. I want you guys to feel the same feeling, sit back and enjoy.

Note that even though this guide will help you maximize Ryze's potential as a champion, you'll still have to be good a good player in order to climb up the ladder. Ryze is a champion who's really hard to fully master and carry with. Many have the idea that pressing space will carry you and that Ryze is an easy champion. Dead wrong. He was easy back in the days but after the rework, things have changed. it requires a lot of focus, patience and knowledge on the game's mechanics. The build heavily rellies on your current state (fed/behind) as well as on the type of opponents you're playing against (mages/reset/adc/cc/assassins).  If you suck and you play unorganized thinking that pressing space will help then you'll have around 30% win ratio while if you've mastered him you'll have around 70%.

What are the strengths and weaknesses?

Pros & Cons

Pros
hu6oSfu.png

-Gets stronger with Mana
-Late game huge Mana pool
-There is no true counter if played perfectly
-Oftenly underated/underestimated 
-Arguably tankiest mage in game
-Reliable to carry teams
-If fed then he does whetever the f*ck he pleases (unstopable monster)

Cons

-you can't play him after an update is released Kappa
-Requires good understanding of the game mechanics
-All spells except from your Ultimate require you to stand still in order to execute them
-Long ranged champs are hard to play against
-No reliable escape mechanism
-Relatively squishy until he buys his Core Items
-If denied from farming things might get real ugly

Runes:
These are the best runes to use for Ryze either with Ignite or Teleport. I will explain everything as well as why I take scaling Armor Seals and Scaling Magic Resist Glyphs.

Casual Build:

9x Greater Mark of Magic Penetration:

There are no better marks for an AP Carry. I do not recommend Flat or Scaling AP because they aren't gold efficient. Not only they're bad, they are even worse on a champion such as Ryze who has low AP ratios. The only possible contestent would be Hybrid Penetration because they have a high amount of Magic Penetration. So, if you don't have Magic Pene but you do have Hybrid Pene, do equip those. [Alternatives] Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration

9x Greater Seal of Scaling Armor:

After the patch 4.5, the flat armor seals have been nerfed while the scaling ones have been buffed. So, you get to choose between 27 armor on level 18 or a steady 9 armor throughout the whole game. If you think about it, you gain that 9 armor on level 6 by using scaling armor. Basically, it's better to slightly def/farm until level 6 and after that point on, you gain free extra stats with each level passing. Apart from armor, there's also Scaling Health. These runes are awesome since they provide mixed defense for AD and AP but I don't really like them on Ryze. More often than not, I get rekt by spells that deal health percentage damage so it ends up being a disaster for me. Not to mention Blade Of The Ruined King. This item becomes weaker against you when you have Armor rather than making it stronger by buying Health. [Alternatives] Greater Seal of Scaling Health, Greater Seal of Armor

9x Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist:

Magic Resist is the best thing you can take for Ryze consering Glyphs. If you take ability power then you will gain an abysmal damage advantage while losing a lot of defense you would otherwise have. The main reason I take Magic Resist though, is because it's an element that's hard to find. There are plenty of items that give Mana, Ability Power, CDR etc... but not many that give Magic Resistance and that's a pretty bad thing because AP Assassins will destroy you. Now, if you were to take Magic Resist then I would recommend you take scaling runes for the same reason as with the Armor Seals. However, here you might want Flat Magic Resist since the Magic Resistance the Flat Glyphs give is higher (12). So, it's all up to you wether you want early tankiness or not but i strongly recommend you go for scaling. Nonetheless, keep in mind that having flat Magic Resist does NOT mean you are allowed to go ham in lane against long ranged champions. (12 magic resist compared to 27) [Alternatives] Greater Glyph of Magic Resist, Greater Glyph of Scaling Mana, Greater Glyph of Mana

3x Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed:

Movement Speed because Ryze needs it a LOT! Ryze's range is similarly low both on autoattacks and spells and this is the main reason I call him a melle mage fighter (even though he's ranged). Keeping distance with your opponents is really important as well as being able to dodge enemy spells. In the same way, movement speed helps you roam, initiate and flee easier and faster. Other possible options should be Flat Ability Power or Spell Vamp. Ability Power isn't what you are looking for here. 15 AP doesn't offer much to a champion such as Ryze and moreover, you can put so many other gold efficient runes instead that it's a shame to waste these 3 sweet slots. As for Spell Vamp, it's extremely strong on Ryze because of your combos and sustainable damage potential. Let's not forget that now you can actually keep a permanent combo going on level 16 so it's like having a permanent ultra potion active. Do recommend and as a matter of fact, I can't lock my opinnion on whether of these two is the best. To put it simple, if you don't have Movement Speed or Spell Vamp runes, temporarily equip Flat Ability Power while if you do, go with one of those instead.  [Alternatives] Greater Quintessence of Spell Vamp, Greater Quintessence of Ability Power

Summoner Sets:
OxX8K1R.pngwTz4DBy.png

When you play mid with a more type of assasin mage or bruiser then what you will mostly find yourself doing is flash in, risk all you got, pop that Ignite, throw a **** ton of spells and pray to god the enemy dies. But, if you are playing with a caster which HAS to survive and keep dealing damage in a team fight in order to be succesful then it's better not go for that risky dive and just stay in the rear raw of your team to deal damage.

Be polite! Ask for your support or ally top laner to ward the opposing enemy's brush. After that make sure you clear the enemy mid/top creep wave and when you''re done, look for an opportunity to Teleport bot for an easy kill or two. Best timing is when the ward or creep you are teleporting on is not in the enemies's sight of vision (screen) or when bot lane is on a full out 2v2 fight. In that situation even if you teleport on a creep in front of them, chances are they won't make it out alive.
Something to add: If you use it for lane sustain then do it on a turret. The cooldown gets reduced by 60 seconds and that is freaking epic! 

What Teleport provides:

- Great Lane Sustain.
- Early-Mid Game Lane Support and Counter Ganks.
- Split pushing late game as well as countering the enemy’s split push.
- Catching up with your team.
- The opportunity to bait your opponents. They will see you are missing and will try to force a fight 4v5
without them knowing you can join the fight uninvited.

OxX8K1R.pngFulEpFK.png

If you're having problems with Teleport take Ignite instead. It's simple to use and more reliable.
Well, most of the times I actually pick Ignite. I do understand that Teleport is supposed to be the best but I pick it only in ranked team. I find Ignite much more reliable since it allows me win my lane and snowball. You just can't always be that certain about your Teleport's success. There's so much staff that can go wrong with a false call. Moreover, when your opponent knows you picked Ignite, there are less chances of him risking to stay in lane with less than 30% HP or at least start a fight. However if you don't have Ignite, he will try to harass you at all times and more likely force you into a 1v1 fight where of course he has the upper hand.

So what you should do is:
-Farm as best as you can!
-Play defensively/offensively (turret hug/snowball) according to which would be the most beneficial for you at your current situation.
-Try to always have at least one ward with you! ( BUY A WARD, SAVE A LIFE! )
-Look out for your team's jungler position and if needed, run straight to him for backup.
-Ask your support to ward the opposing team's brush and wait for an opportunity to teleport! However, this doesn't mean you should gank only when you  have TP so you better start roaming on foot!
-Press  :spacebar:

you can find a ryze config here : http://gamingonstero...underwave-ryze/

albinokayaz

albinokayaz

Advanced Member

• Donator
  • 97 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I'm starting a game now, give me power Doge

will edit to see if its a good guide or not Keppo

EDIT: Won game, but I prefer the press space to kill ryze config

Sweden

Sweden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationFeretorix bedroom

"-Requires good understanding of the game mechanics"  :fappa:

SweetStrawberry

SweetStrawberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationZyppy BedRoom

Sweeden Best Ryze EuNe! :wub: :kappapride:

Archer

Archer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHungary
Uhh. It was 20 min to read. Good job anyway :)

Doomrush

Doomrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 87 posts

I know where you got this guide Kappa

TheLegendaryFart

TheLegendaryFart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

copy pasterino from some site but well done on the copy paste skill