Welcome to Gaming On Steroids Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

V4 - Current Progress

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Heisa

Heisa

RocketLeague Dev

• RocketLeague Dev
  • 1,544 posts

Hi,

To shed some light on the current progress so far that I've made, I am making this topic because I do not want to keep the users in the dark for too long.

As of today, the Version 4.0.0 will have a [Path Finder] feature, which allows the [Auto Drive] feature to go anywhere on the map and as efficiently as possible using many optimization techniques

For that I had to dig into how the Rocket League's mesh is constructed and create my own navigational system, which as of today it supports Soccar (Snowday, Heatseeker), Hoops and Dropshot maps. Except a few Soccar and Rocket Labs maps, because they contain different levels of mesh, which require a unique layout, therefor it requires a different binary file, and if those maps are demanded a lot, I will probably add support for them

For every supported map, it creates it's own network of nodes dynamically, then it creates Edges files which will be binary files that contain all possible connections and directions for each node which gives us the ability to pick a point on a surface and give it to our [Path Finder] controller to get us there. 

Then there was the actual path finding controller logic which takes the car's capabilities and controls to get us as accurately and efficiently as possible towards a target. This is the thing that took me the most amount of time. Not only to code it, but first educate myself about the whole path finding process, about the car physics and to be able to understand and comprehend to a level where I can possibly implement it. I had to restart the initial process many times for a few months, until I finally arrived at the current solution, so initially it was a lot of trial and error. But fortunately, I achieved something working pretty well.

It currently uses the famous AStar shortest path algorithm but in the future, I will see if there's a need for a different approach. 

The [Path Finder] also has new logic of dribbling and matching the speed of the car for an aerial. And the dribbling segment is separated with it's own settings, which you can customize to your needs.

The dribbling segment is quite interesting, because it simulates car-to-ball contacts and as of now, it can be configured to minimize bounces for better catching of the ball, carrying it on it's roof, alignment with the goal, matching the speed of the ball, and more. It even has the ability to do backwards dribbling, but I haven't yet finalized the dribbling choices so it's hard to say exactly what will be in the final version

Next feature on the list is: [Aerial Path Finder BETA]  which improves the overall [Aerial Bot] by a lot. 

It continuously creates a path towards the target and with each consecutive iteration it tries to minimize the error of arriving there. It's better at orienting, flying and adjusting itself when needed in the constraints of the car's physics. 

It improve all of the aerial modes, which by the way I have added two new aerial modes, [Redirect Mode] which is in pretty complex and still in beta, and a new [Flip Reset 2] mode which gives the ability to offset the car's orientation relative to the ball. As well as it improves the [Air Dribbling] ability even with older code. 

Now with that, I have decided to make each aerial mode have it's own specific settings so you can customize to your own needs. 

The next addition is a new [Aim at Goal - Simulation] method which creates future car positions and orientations on the ball and for each of these possible car states, it tries to find a hit that would best redirect the ball towards the enemy's goal. It is still fairly new and I will be building/improving it more.

With that [Aim at Goal - Simulation Method] feature, comes the new [Redirect Mode] aerial mode which creates a possible redirect orientation for the aerial bot to execute. This mode would also be available as a Freestyle Control orientation, meaning it would be possible to be used at the end of a freestyle. Again, it's still fairly new and a lot more work needs to be done on it

From the current testing as of today, 13.10.2024, the addition of the new [Aim at Goal - Simulation Mode] and the [Redirect Mode], it improves the goal scoring by some degree, on some aerial training packs, it scores quite a lot of the times. It is still not frame-to-frame perfect, but in Rocket League, even a small difference in the error like 5 unreal units, will produce a different outcome from the desired target. This is the nature of a physics based game and having to create such predictive controllers, unfortunately.

The next on the list is a new [Auto Boost] method which is more accurate at determining when to boosts. It also allows for better feather boosting which incorporates the car's capabilities

I have added a new [Intersection Type - 6] calculation method for testing, which incorporates additional car physics into finding the best hit on the ball's trajectory. As well as a new ground intercepting logic.

Then there's various other changes, improvements, fixes, optimizations as well as suggestions from the users added that I haven't included in this post.

With all of those changes, now I have to look into perfecting the [Ball Prediction] so all of it will come nicely together

Now due to all of these changes, a lot of things need to be reworked, reorganized or even changed/removed. And sometimes a new issue pops up which also needs to be looked into. For example, I've noticed that some controller mappings are creating fast on and off inputs to the actual tool, which will turn on and off certain features, which will make some of the bots have different outputs. I haven't confirmed this as of yet, but it's definitely a possible issue.

When a feature is being created, a lot of the time that goes into it is also for testing and tweaking it. This is a very tedious and time consuming process unfortunately,  

And that is the reason why I cannot approximate or give an exact date for when it will be released, but when it's nearing the finish line, I will announce a release date. The V4 will be a new base version, where future updates and changes will be built upon, so that's why it's taking me a while.

Thank you for reading and having patience with me and my learning/working process, as well as supporting me all this time. You guys are great.

gncabar

gncabar

• Premium
  • 18 posts

OH YOU ARE INSANEE THANK YOU SO MUCH WE ARE WAITING <3

armandas123

armandas123

• Members
  • 4 posts

it still coming out this year right?

downfvll

downfvll

• Premium
  • 11 posts

Looking forward to v4! Thanks!

yoyovfx

yoyovfx

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • 89 posts

W i'm really excited to see what it's about

toshirottv

toshirottv

• Premium
  • 10 posts

insane

Heisa

Heisa

RocketLeague Dev

• RocketLeague Dev
  • 1,544 posts

it still coming out this year right?

Aiming for that, but we shall see if everything goes smoothly. Obviously the more time I spend on this version, the better it will be

Joggl88

Joggl88

• Premium
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustria
Great to hear! I'm already looking forward to it. Is it possible to do a "pre flip" around the ball for air dribbling, e.g. for fullfield air dribbles? So is there possibly a feature for this?

LegoGaming

LegoGaming

• Premium
  • 13 posts

You are just a beast dude! I, along with many others, appreciate the work and thought you put into this.

polteik1999

polteik1999

• Premium
  • 1 posts

sounds like you're leaning morei nto heuristic or algorithm based stuff right? not sure if the tool had like hard coded "rules" previously but this sounds like it would open up huge avenues in gameplay and development too

Heisa

Heisa

RocketLeague Dev

• RocketLeague Dev
  • 1,544 posts

Great to hear! I'm already looking forward to it. Is it possible to do a "pre flip" around the ball for air dribbling, e.g. for fullfield air dribbles? So is there possibly a feature for this?

What do you mean by "pre-flip" ? Flipping into the ball or what ? 

Heisa

Heisa

RocketLeague Dev

• RocketLeague Dev
  • 1,544 posts

sounds like you're leaning morei nto heuristic or algorithm based stuff right? not sure if the tool had like hard coded "rules" previously but this sounds like it would open up huge avenues in gameplay and development too

Yeah, all of it, and even optimization techniques. Still at the root of it, but with time, things will get better. 

And what do you mean  by hard coded rules ? It's all hardcoded, there's no AI if that's what you're thinking

CTZY

CTZY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Yeah, all of it, and even optimization techniques. Still at the root of it, but will time, things will get better. 

And what do you by hard coded rules ? It's all hardcoded, there's no AI if that's what you're thinking

I've got into RL and i don't understand how you can be bothered with all these math lmao. TOO MUCH!

But really good work my friend, keep up the great work. You deserve it. From a coder to another 

Bully

Bully

• Premium
  • 17 posts

@Heisa

In regards to 

I've noticed that some controller mappings are creating fast on and off inputs to the actual tool, which will turn on and off certain features, which will make some of the bots have different outputs. I haven't confirmed this as of yet, but it's definitely a possible issue.

Is this a Tool related issue?

If you're talking actual controller (handheld) - some programs you need to adjust settings on, I know REWASD for exmaple sets keyboard inputs into rapid press rather than "key hold".

Just some feedback. 

Other than that, look forward to this, the people have been long waiting for the man himself to give us the juicy news. 

V4 - 25/12/2024 tm

Heisa

Heisa

RocketLeague Dev

• RocketLeague Dev
  • 1,544 posts

@Heisa

In regards to 

Is this a Tool related issue?

If you're talking actual controller (handheld) - some programs you need to adjust settings on, I know REWASD for exmaple sets keyboard inputs into rapid press rather than "key hold".

That's correct. And the tool is not making that issue, but the mapper, or it could actually be the game, not sure. The mapper essentially needs to be setting the keyboard input as "key hold", rather than rapid presses to a particular key. 

The tool's hotkeys require a "key-hold" for it to work properly, and if that's the case with the mapper, it will explain why some people had problems with using the [Aerial Bot]. It is simply making the [Aerial Bot] go on/off really fast, resulting in it missing inputs, resulting in missed aerials. 

The [Aerial Bot] calculates the required inputs for every frame in order to get to a target state, so if you rapidly press the hotkey there will be frames where the [Aerial Bot] is not actually sending any inputs to the game, meaning that those inputs will be lost, and if they are lost, it will fail to do what it's supposed to do in-time.

But I cannot confirm that theory yet as I do not have the hardware at this moment. How I realized about this issue was seeing a clip of a user in which some of the display menus were flickering as a result, so that got me the idea that the mapper is perhaps doing this on/off behavior really fast, and it's not a real keyheld event

I guess it's time for me to actually buy controllers and implement support directly into GoS.

What controllers are people using nowadays ? PS/Xbox?

Bully

Bully

• Premium
  • 17 posts

That's correct. And the tool is not making that issue, but the mapper, or it could actually be the game, not sure. The mapper essentially needs to be setting the keyboard input as "key hold", rather than rapid presses to a particular key. 

The tool's hotkeys require a "key-hold" for it to work properly, and if that's the case with the mapper, it will explain why some people had problems with using the [Aerial Bot]. It is simply making the [Aerial Bot] go on/off really fast, resulting in it missing inputs, resulting in missed aerials. 

The [Aerial Bot] calculates the required inputs for every frame in order to get to a target state, so if you rapidly press the hotkey there will be frames where the [Aerial Bot] is not actually sending any inputs to the game, meaning that those inputs will be lost, and if they are lost, it will fail to do what it's supposed to do in-time.

But I cannot confirm that theory yet as I do not have the hardware at this moment. How I realized about this issue was seeing a clip of a user in which some of the display menus were flickering as a result, so that got me the idea that the mapper is perhaps doing this on/off behavior really fast, and it's not a real keyheld event

I guess it's time for me to actually buy controllers and implement support directly into GoS.

What controllers are people using nowadays ? PS/Xbox?

I can pretty well confirm this from personal experience, I noticed it when I pressed one of my keys in a chat box it was just spamming letters. 

It's not game/tool related whatsoever, people just don't have their controllers mapped properly in the software they're using. 

REWASD is setup on default to key spam, I've only used antimicrox outside of REWASD which is a keyhold from the get go. 

So that's one less task you don't really need to consider. 

------

I also saw that post you're referring to with old mate in drop shot, that's definitely a key press spam in his mapping software, easiest way to test it is to open up a chatbox in awyhere (In game, Desktop) and just hold the key down.

---

As for controllers I think you could say it's 50/50 between the DS5 & Xbox controllers although majority of mapping software's support both, so it'd just come down to personal preference ergonomically.

Crumpet

Crumpet

• Members
  • 2 posts

This is so sweet. You're the best dev ever!

NewCiper

NewCiper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 143 posts
I've said it before and I'll say it now, no one can match Hesia's creativity, the first to make a real cheat in Rocket, and he will be the last, I bet on it.

Thanks for your efforts  <3

Edited by NewCiper, 14 October 2024 - 05:29 .

numsebacon

numsebacon

• Members
  • 8 posts

This is awesome and looking forward to it. With all these new changes will the bot also be able to shadow defense? Or better defense

Edited by numsebacon, 14 October 2024 - 12:14 .

FredTheFrug

FredTheFrug

• Premium
  • 13 posts

could we expect a ui change, with this v4?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

iMaleK